If you’re new to Postcards From, here we embrace all things microadventures. Small, inexpensive ways to find adventure everyday (or every week). Summer, to me, is made for mini adventures. The days are long, the weather is (hopefully) warmer, and there’s more opportunity to have an adventure. So, here’s a list of 60 summer microadventures for you to try…
(p.s don’t forget to tag @postcardsfromkatie_ and #postcardsfrommicroadventures on your summer adventures!)
- Have a picnic in a local park.
- Explore a nearby hiking trail.
- Have a beach day and go swimming.
- Go geocaching and search for hidden treasures.
- Explore a new neighbourhood in your city on foot.
- Visit a botanical garden and learn about different plants.
- Have a day of berry picking at a local farm.
- Take a scenic cable car or gondola ride.
- Have a day of exploring local waterfalls.
- Take a guided historical walking tour of your city.
Active summer microadventures
- Take a bike ride along a scenic trail
- Go for a sunrise or sunset hike.
- Take a kayak or canoe trip on a river or lake.
- Rent a paddleboard and explore a tranquil lake.
- Try a new water sport like surfing or jet skiing.
- Go horse riding in the countryside.
- Explore a nearby cave or cavern.
- Try stand-up paddleboard yoga
- Go on a river rafting or tubing adventure.
- Attend an outdoor fitness class or yoga session.
Rainy Day microadventures
- Take a scenic drive to a nearby town.
- Go on a spontaneous road trip to a nearby attraction.
- Try rock climbing at an indoor climbing gym.
- Visit a local museum or art gallery.
- Have a rainy day picnic at home with a selection of your favourite snacks and drinks.
- Take a pottery or painting class and unleash your creativity.
- Visit an indoor trampoline park and have a fun-filled jumping session.
- Try indoor ice skating or roller skating at a nearby rink.
- Plan a board game or card game tournament with friends or family.
- Take a cooking or baking class to learn a new recipe or technique.
Solo summer microadventures
- Visit a farmers market and try new fruits or vegetables.
- Go bird watching in a nature reserve.
- Have a day of fishing at a local pond or lake.
- Take a scenic train ride to a nearby destination.
- Take a photography walk and capture exciting sights.
- Take a guided nature walk with a local expert.
- Visit a nearby park and have a solo picnic while enjoying a good book.
- Plan a solo camping trip in a local campground or even your backyard.
- Go for a solo hike in a nearby nature reserve or trail.
- Explore a nearby forest or woodland and embrace the solitude and tranquility.
Microadventures with friends this summer
- Have a bonfire and roast marshmallows.
- Attend an outdoor concert or music festival.
- Take a hot air balloon ride.
- Have a beach volleyball/tennis/any game tournament with friends.
- Attend an outdoor movie screening or theatre performance.
- Go on a food-tasting tour of your city’s diverse cuisines.
- Try your hand at archery or axe throwing.
- Have a beach bonfire and watch the stars.
- Try your luck at outdoor mini-golf
- Organize a photography challenge and see who can capture the best shots in a designated area.
Completely free summer micro adventures
- Go wild swimming
- Go camping in your backyard
- Have a DIY photo shoot in a picturesque location.
- Go stargazing on a clear night.
- Have a day of exploring local street art.
- Have a day of exploring local lakes and swimming holes
- Take an online yoga or meditation session (look on YoutTube) in a peaceful outdoor setting.
- Volunteer for a community clean-up project in a local park or beach.
- Have a DIY movie night under the stars in your backyard.
- Take a walk in a nearby park and explore its trails.
I hope this list gives you lots of ideas to have a summer filled with adventures! I’d love to hear about the microadventures that you go on this summer, so don’t forget to tag me in your posts on instagram. If you’re wanting more travel inspo, check out the UK staycation and day trip ideas here.